The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Best Sentence #63

The designers apparently anticipate feedback on this low-tech approach; on their FAQ page, they address the project’s lack of actually ubiquitous computing.

1 Comments:

Blogger italianesco said...

"The designers apparently anticipate feedback on this low-tech approach; on their FAQ page, they address the project’s lack of actually ubiquitous computing."

Have you ever read the film reviews of Peter Travers in Rolling Stone magazine? I was going to set up a website to (soon to be a blog!) making fun of film reviewers and their writing style...

Well, guesswhat? Peter Travers is the undisputed master of the ADVERBIALLY MODIFIED ADJECTIVE. If you read his reviews, you'll notice right away that every film is HYPNOTICALLY (adverb) fascinating (adjective) or DEVILISHLY intriguing or MASTERFULLY performed. Advertisers LOVE - they just LOVE - to quote him on their ads for their films, because adverbially modified adjectives are catchy (oh, the itch to write "simply catchy"!! :-)

What in the world then is "lack of actually ubiquitous computing," pray tell?!?

You mean REALLY ubiquitous as opposed to NOT REALLY ubiquitous? If "ubiquitous computing" is a kind of computing, then it can probably take an adjective: actual or real "ubiquitous computing."

Here's an adverbially modified adjective whose adverb's purpose is simply decorative. Actually, come to think of it, I'm sure that there must exist - all things being possible - something that is "actually ubiquitous" (in computing or elsewhere). I'm not too sure, though, that the world will be any worse off by any actual lack thereof... :-)

But that's just me... :-)

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home